Park Avenue answers the need for free legal services for our neighbors in partnership with Peace and Hope International and the Volunteer Lawyers Network. Hundreds of families are given the legal advice they need to thrive in a complicated world.
The Legal Clinic is located on the Lower Level of Park Avenue United Methodist Church. It is open on Thursdays from 3:00-5:00 PM (except for weeks with a holiday).
Services We Provide
• The services provided are limited to brief advice, one-time legal service and/or referral. Legal Clinic volunteers do not provide ongoing legal representation to persons who visit the legal clinic.
• Individuals with on-going legal representation needs will be referred to other service providers, including private attorneys.
• Services are free-of-charge for eligible persons. The purpose of the legal clinic is to provide free legal services to low-income individuals who meet income guidelines.
Eligibility for Services
• You must earn under 300% of the federal poverty income guidelines.
• You must not already have a lawyer who represents you.
How We Provide Services
• The Walk-in Legal Clinic is open to serve eligible persons on Thursdays from 3:00 to 5:00 p.m. Persons arriving at the legal clinic should sign-up with the intake coordinator on duty after 2:45 p.m. If your name is called and you do not respond, you may lose your turn.
• The intake coordinator will interview persons first to determine eligibility for services. Eligible persons then will see the next available attorney. Intake and consultations with an attorney are confidential and done on a walk-in basis in the order of arrival.
• Generally, every Thursday there are three appointment slots per volunteer lawyer available and there are between three and four lawyers providing advice. Consultations are general- ly limited to 30 minutes. Volunteers of the walk-in legal clinic will do their best to see every eligible person who walks in on the same day. However, volunteers may need to request that persons return another day to seek help.
Types of Questions We Answer
The Walk-in Legal Clinic is staffed by volunteer attorneys. Generally, every week there attorneys on duty who are familiar with immigration and employment and labor laws. Lawyers may also have expertise in other areas of law. If there is not an attorney on duty who knows the answer to your legal question, you may be referred to other service providers, or asked to return another day.
Generally, Walk-in Legal Clinic volunteers have expertise in the following areas of law:
• employment and labor
• family law